my VPS site (at tunearch.org) is running Mediawiki [1.34.0] and using Elasticsearch as a search engine (a single standalone node)
These are my relevant configurations items
- Elasticsearch 6.8.8
- JVM 11.0.8
Now… after three days of struggling with installation and configuration, search in google and the English:Fess Forum at CodeLIbs I realised that:
- If I install with dpkg —install fess-12.7.0.deb (or any other rel.) Fess doesn’t run despite every configuration attempt: I swear, I’ve tried them all (at least all the ones I could find on the forum).
There was no way I could make it work. I avoid to post here the useless copies (for the sake of this post, of course) of fess and server_0 logs that always report the same kind of WARNs ERRs already reported by the members of this community, e.g.:
- 2020-04-19 07:58:54,434 [main] WARN fess_indices/fess.json is not found.
- despite it is in the correct place
- (“java.io.FilePermission$ “/var/lib/elasticsearch/config/ja/mapping.txt” “read”)
- despite it is readable, writable, executable by everyone (owned by elasticsearch user)
- WARN fess_indices/fess/alias is not found.
- despite it is in the right place
- org.lastaflute.di.exception.ContainerInitFailureException: Look! Read the message below.
- the (at least for me) obscure Failed to initialize the container.
- If I download the 12.7.0.zip file,
- uncompress it in (lets say) /opt
modify the fess.in.sh to
b) BUT NOT #ES_TRANSPORT_URL=localhost:9300 (otherwise I get the same WARNs and ERRs as above…)
c) change the /opt/fess-12.7.0/lib/classes/tomcat_config.properties to bind the internet address of my VPS
- and run bin/fess (from /opt/fess-12.7.0/)
I get Fess up and running with the following warnings at stderr
- OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
- Warning: Nashorn engine is planned to be removed from a future JDK release
- WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
- WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v7.Java7$1 (file:/opt/fess-12.7.0/app/WEB-INF/lib/groovy-2.5.7.jar) to constructor java.lang.invoke.MethodHandles$Lookup(java.lang.Class,int)
I can manage (admin) FESS from the public Internet at http://tunearch.org:8080/admin
I can see (and manage) the elasticsearch indices (see below)
I can create crawlers
BUT i cannot embed the Fess Site Search… or better I can embed the HTML Standard(Search Form/Result) page in my wiki but it always respond with “Server not found” with any query (right or wrong) as you can see below, despite the script is (it seems to me) correct:
Try yourself at https://tunearch.org/wiki/TTA:EveryTune
Any idea why the script does’n find the fess server ?
Am I missed (or misunderstood) something?
Please forgive this somewhat verbose post.