ElasticCloud

(from github.com/huntercarter)
Hi, is it possible to use FESS with an ElasticSearch server other than the bundled one? I would love to use Fess on ElasticCloud (https://www.elastic.co/cloud) however I don’t see any options for indexing to a remote install of ElasticSearch. I thought perhaps it would be possible to do this by dumping a backup to S3, however it appears that the repository creation tools under “snapshot” are also not working.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

(from marevol (Shinsuke Sugaya) · GitHub)

is it possible to use FESS with an ElasticSearch server other than the bundled one?

Yes. Please see Installation
We recommend remote elasticsearch cluster for production use.

For ElasticCloud, I’m not sure if it works with Fess because Fess requires Elasticsearch plugins.

it would be possible to do this by dumping a backup to S3

Bundled elasticsearch does not contain S3 plugin.

(from github.com/huntercarter)
If you do not recommend ElasticCloud, what kind of deployment do you recommend? AWS?

(from github.com/marevol)
Any environments are okay if plugins are able to be installed.

(from huntercarter (James Hunter Carter) · GitHub)
@marevol thanks for the quick responses. I have another follow up question for you:

I am trying to set up FESS to communicate with a local ElasticSearch. I installed via the .zip in the link you provided, my ElasticSearch instance is running on default ports, and I added this bit from the link you provided:

For Unix environment, they are in fess-/bin/fess.in.sh.

ES_HTTP_URL=http://localhost:9200
ES_TRANSPORT_URL=localhost:9300
FESS_DICTIONARY_PATH=/var/lib/elasticsearch/config/

The server fails to start. I suspect the path in the DOCS may not be relevant to my directory structure. I am on Mac OSX. I don’t understand the directions in the document, it was confusing because it references the instructions from the RPM package under the ZIP section. Any ideas?

(from github.com/marevol)
Please set configsync.config_path in elasticsearch.yml

configsync.config_path: <elasticsearch_home>/data/config

and then set FESS_DICTIONARY_PATH as below:

FESS_DICTIONARY_PATH=<elasticsearch_home>/data/config

<elasticsearch_home> is an installed directory of elasticsearch.

(from github.com/epalorleant)
Hello,
Is that possible to use FESS with a TLS secured Elasticsearch cluster ?
Thanks.