Crawler not working

I followed the installation instructions for Fess and Elasticsearch 8.5.1 on Windows. That means I downloaded the zip files, extracted them appropriately, and modified the files as instructed. For Elasticsearch no textual modification was needed. One just launches elasticsearch.bat. Notably, no supervisor credentials appeared during the setup process, even though the installation reference document said they would. Here is the result of opening localhost:9200 in Firefox:

{
  "name" : "HIDDEN",
  "cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
  "cluster_uuid" : "HIDDENFORTHISFORUMPOST",
  "version" : {
    "number" : "8.5.1",
    "build_flavor" : "default",
    "build_type" : "zip",
    "build_hash" : "HIDDENFORTHISFORUMPOST",
    "build_date" : "HIDDENFORTHISFORUMPOST",
    "build_snapshot" : false,
    "lucene_version" : "9.4.1",
    "minimum_wire_compatibility_version" : "7.17.0",
    "minimum_index_compatibility_version" : "7.0.0"
  },
  "tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

I followed the fess instructions for making the configsync folder, modifying the YML documents, running the plugin command and so forth. Fess recognizes the elasticsearch instance and removes the development mode warning.

All of the crawl jobs fail. I tried an index job and it also failed. The error message is
BUG! exception in phase 'class generation' in source unit 'Script1.groovy' unexpected NullPointerException

I modified the job instruction in the scheduler per error crawling · Issue #2147 · codelibs/fess · GitHub.

return container.getComponent("crawlJob").logLevel("info").gcLogging().execute(executor);
return container.getComponent("crawlJob").logLevel("info");
return container.getComponent("crawlJob").logLevel("info").execute(executor);
return container.getComponent("crawlJob").execute(executor);

All fail. It seems that no crawl jobs work.

Fess interacts with the Elasticsearch instance and this is seen via output such as [2022-12-09T13:32:43,845][INFO ][o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] [REDACTED] current.health="GREEN" message="Cluster health status changed from [YELLOW] to [GREEN] (reason: [shards started [[fess.suggest.20221209133243][0]]])." previous.health="YELLOW" reason="shards started [[fess.suggest.20221209133243][0]]" on the elasticsearch console.